Black.... / 8/21/07
I've been wanting to club for sometime but I seem to be having a test every other week and clubbing without feeling guilty seems to be inevitable. Sooon....Reena soon....
The other day I had a really weird conversation with a classmate of mine.
The conversation went something like this...
She: Reena why you so black ah?
Reena...looks surprised and stares at her blankly...After laughing.....
Reena: I'm not that bad right? You have seen darker ones right? (Was wondering if my SK2 was not worth my money anymore.)
She: No leh....I mean. You are black Wat. Is it because your parents are black also?
Like Duh! Then what I'm adopted ah?But I patiently replied back....
Reena: Darling, obviously I've gotten my rich dark pigments from my parents. And they got it from their parents. It's genetics. Heard of that?
She: YA! But had it ever affected you? You are black mah. Lighter or darker, still black what....
Thinking....really thinking this time...
Reena: No it has never bothered me. I'm ok with being who I am. Being dark and short. =) Can I ask you if it bothers you being yellow?
She: Says something...which I couldn't make out and laughs at her own joke.
That incident made me recheck my feelings about myself. I'm proud to say that after check, I still am proud of myself. It has never once crossed my mind to feel inferior to someone who is fairer then me. After all, beauty is skin deep. When I was younger, I tried all means to get taller. I used to skip, jump on my Mummy's queen sized bed until it broke and even get my sister to pull my legs (after she said it would work) But nothing worked. That was the only issue that used to affect me so much when I was young. People thought it funny. I thought it was mean. But I knew I had to overcome my inferiority complex. Things got worse when I started to date. There was never a guy who failed comment on my height. Standing at 1.55cm, I literally had to look up to them. Weirdly, all the guys I've dated have been taller then average. I soon came to realise that no amount of skipping and pulling of every other leg muscle is not going to work. Technology isn't advanced for a cure to "shortyness."(Haha! That's what Simmi and I call it.) I volunteer to be a guinea pig for experiments!
Black, yellow, short, fat, it really doesn't matter la. What matters is you know you have your loved ones around you and you are happy. Well, I am happy the way I am and you should be too.
I'm so not looking forward to the finance test this Thursday. Work had been bad. Been down on luck I think. Everyone I invite seems to be busy at the last minute.....I need to work harder!!!!!!!
Stumble It!
11:16 PM
♥♥♥
|